Unbelievably easy and tasty healthy chocolate banana cake made without eggs, flour, butter, and baking. There is no catch – we don’t use the microwave either. We know the microwave kills many nutrients so we try to not use it often. This chocolate cake is gluten-free and vegan. All ingredients are chosen carefully to be healthy! Specifically, this cake is a good source of iron, protein, fiber, healthy fats, antioxidants, flavanols, potassium, pectin, magnesium, vitamins B, C, and E, selenium, calcium, and zinc. Finally, check out our healthy flourless brownies recipe.
My family loves to go to beach concerts. I see people buying from food trucks bananas on a stick, dipped in chocolate, and sprinkled with nuts. It looks really delicious, but looking at that banana on a stick isn’t for me to eat in public. This recipe has similar ingredients and I can say that indeed bananas combined with chocolate and nuts is a hit.
What Is The Magic Of This Raw Chocolate Cake
In this paragraph, we will unveil the mystery around our healthy chocolate banana cake made with no eggs, no flour, no-bake riddle. We use bananas and walnuts instead of flour for the base of this cake. We also use coconut oil instead of eggs. All ingredients used in this recipe don’t need to be baked. They are all ready to eat raw. Hence, all we need to do is just freeze the mixture in the freezer for at least 30 minutes to tighten up so the cake can be cut for serving.
Ingredients For Healthy Chocolate Banana Cake
We made this cake with walnuts and coconut oil. Both of those ingredients are super nutritious and your body and especially your brain will thank you. However, both ingredients come with a high-calorie count. While this healthy chocolate cake with bananas will give you many needed nutrients, just be careful to limit yourself to a few pieces at a time. Try to use virgin coconut oil for more nutrients. We are in the midst of the COVID-19 epidemic and weren’t able to find virgin oil, so in the picture, you will see that regrettably, we are using a refined one. If you are not a big fan of walnuts like me, try it with this recipe anyway as it is actually pretty delicious. I don’t really like eating walnuts but in this recipe when combined with chocolate and banana it tastes pretty good.
Cocoa powder is a known friend for your brain. If you are moody and want to improve your swings, then start using cocoa in your diet. Cocoa contains polyphenols which improve the blood flow to our brains, hence, improves our brain function. Some nutritionists recommend drinking a cup of cocoa before bed because it contains tryptophan which makes you calm and sleepy. Cocoa does contain caffeine but in very minimal amounts to having a huge impact on your night sleep.
Sugar In The Healthy Chocolate Banana Cake
With every cake, there is sugar involved. In this recipe, however, the sugar we use is healthy. Bananas are naturally sweet fruit. We use ripe bananas for extra sweetness. Ripe bananas also make the texture extra smooth and creamy. If you want the cake to be smoother and more like a mouse, just add some more bananas. We add 2 tbsp honey to this recipe. If you have raw honey, it will be better for this cake as we don’t bake it and you can reap the raw honey benefits. Unfortunately, with COVID-19 madness, we weren’t able to find raw honey so we are using just regular honey for the video and images.
We use cinnamon and vanilla extract to add extra flavor in the cake. Cinnamon is super healthy. It contains cinnamaldehyde, which is thought to be responsible for most of the cinnamon’s health benefits. Cinnamon is anti-inflammatory, has antioxidants, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties. Lastly, we add a pinch of pink Himalayan salt too.
Storage Of The Healthy Chocolate Banana Cake
We keep any leftovers in the freezer ready for another serving!
We use a food processor to blend all the ingredients together. We love our food processor and use it for many recipes. Check out our similar healthy brownies recipe where we use a food processor too. If you don’t have a food processor, we suggest using a coffee grinder to grind the walnuts. Then use a hand mixer or some sort of kitchen equipment to blend all ingredients into a smooth mixture. We also use a square baking pan as it is easier to cut up the squares after the cake freezes. If you don’t have one, just use a freezer-safe container that will allow you to cut up the cake into pieces prior to serving.
Healthy Chocolate Cake With Bananas
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup walnuts
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey
- Wash your hands with soap and water. Check our article on more details on how to properly wash your hands.
- Gather ingredients
- Melt the coconut oil
- In a food processor, add 1 cup walnuts. Pulse until the walnuts are finely ground.
Combine Ingredients Into Food Processor
- Combine the remaining of the ingredients into the food processor: ¾ cup cocoa powder, ½ tsp cinnamon, ⅛ pink Himalayan salt, ½ cup coconut oil, 2 tbsp honey, ½ tsp vanilla extract, and 2 peeled bananas.
- With the food processor, blend all ingredients until the texture is very smooth.
Prepare Mixture For The Freezer
- Layer a square baking pan with parchment paper
- Pour the smooth banana chocolate mixture into the pan
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap
- Keep in the freezer for at least 30 min before serving
- Make 16 squares with a knife
- Make sure you buy 100% cocoa powder. Otherwise it is not dairy free and it is not vegan.
- This recipe is made with 2 bananas, however, in the video and in the images I make it with 4 extra small bananas. I didn’t want to list 4 extra small bananas as an ingredients in case our readers miss the word “extra small” and make this cake with 4 bananas. If you do, the cake will be runny and more like mousse.
- I like the bananas to be ripe so they are extra sweet and creamier for the cake.
- If you don’t have square baking pan you can use a freezer safe container
- We are extremely excited to announce we are now using the saferecipeguide.org guidelines to make our recipe safe-friendly. We will slowly be incorporating the safe recipe guidelines into our recipe instructions!
We strive to provide the most accurate information possible, however, it is at your own risk when you decide to use it. For example, the nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by our recipe plugin. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. If we list a recipe as a nut-free, for instance, we do our best to check all ingredients for nuts via an application. However, it is your responsibility to double-check our work prior to using the information as there is always room for manual error on our part or an error on the application we use.