Italian sausage, great northern beans, shell pasta and kale soup, ready to eat in 25 minutes, rich in protein, fiber, and iron.
I love making this Italian sausage, great northern beans, shell pasta and kale soup because it is ready to eat in under half an hour but at the same time, we eat it as a main meal at home. It has meat, veggies, and pasta all in a soup promoting better digestion.
The soup is very filling, so I don’t have to cook anything else to supplement it. It is a great full meal on its own.
Italian sausage, beans, pasta and kale soup
- 5 links italian sausage
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 ribs celery
- 1 stalk kale
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 - 15 oz cans great northern beans
- 1 - 15 oz can can diced tomatoes
- 1½ cups shell pasta
- ¼ tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 springs rosemary
- 5 springs cilantro
- Gather all ingredients
- Wash hands with soap and water. Check out our article about how to wash hands properly
- Gently rub produce under cold running water. Scrub firm produce with a clean vegetable brush under running water.
- Chop sausage in bite size pieces. I also split further up the sausage pieces into smaller bites while browning it.
- Wash hands after handling meat
- In a large pot, over a medium heat, heat 2 tbsp avocado oil.
- Once avocado oil is heated, add sausage and cook about 5 minutes, or until browned.
- While the sausage is cooking, finely chop the onion, mince the 3 garlic cloves, mince the 1-inch ginger
- Once the sausage is brown, add onions, garlic, and ginger. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Finely chop the 2 carrots, and 2 celery ribs while the onion, garlic, and ginger are sauté
- Add carrots and celery to the pot. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Finely chop the 2 springs rosemary while the carrots and celery are sauté
- Season with ¼ tsp pink Himalayan salt and 1/8 ground black pepper
- Add 2 cans of great northern beans (with liquid)
- Add 1 can of diced tomatoes and 1 liter warm water.
- Add finely chopped rosemary
- Bring to boil on high heat.
- Finely chop the leaves of the 5 cilantro springs while waiting for the liquid to start boiling.
- Finely chop the leaves of 1 stalk kale
- Once boiling, reduce to medium heat and add 1 ½ cup shell pasta.
- Add chopped kale
- Cook according to pasta directions, about 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- Serve with chopped cilantro for garnished
- I usually put 1-inch ginger which results in about 1 tsp finely minced ginger.
- If you want this recipe to be even healthier, make your own beans and diced tomatoes as cans might have BPA. Since my family rarely eats canned food, I do once in a while use canned beans and tomatoes for some recipes such as this soup or slow cooker chili.
- I use slightly defrosted sausage so it is easier to cup up in small pieces. When the sausage is all unfrozen, it is hard to cut into small pieces.
- We are extremely excited to announce we are now using the saferecipeguide.org guidelines to make our recipe safe-friendly. We will slowly be incorporating the safe recipe guidelines into our recipe instructions!
We strive to provide the most accurate information possible, however, it is at your own risk when you decide to use it. For example, the nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by our recipe plug in. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. If we list a recipe as a nut free, for instance, we do our best to check all ingredients for nuts via an application. However, it is your responsibility to double check our work prior using the information as there is always room for manual error on our part, or an error on the application we use.