Traditional Bulgarian ground beef sandwich recipe known locally as “princesses” sandwiches. It is made with Bulgarian sheep cheese and savory seasoning. The recipe is rich in fiber, protein, calcium and iron. Top it with lettuce, onion, tomatoes and a piece of bread on top and you got a hamburger!
I grew up loving those sandwiches. We will have them usually for breakfast, but as I grew older I like them now as dinner. I also pack them for a snack when we go out. There are several ways to make the princess sandwich and I will post another version to our site soon because not only those sandwiches are delicious and easy to make, but also they are also very nutritious.
For more grocery store options, check out the Chicory button in the recipe card button sections. You might also find more ingredients options. Below is a list of ingredients we were able to find on Amazon.
Ground beef sandwiches with sheep cheese
- Wash hands with soap and water. Wash them when touching eggs and meat. Check out our article about how to wash hands properly
- Preheat oven to 400 Fahrenheit
- Gather all ingredients
- Shred 1 cup of Bulgarian sheep cheese
- In a mixing bowl, add 1 lb ground beef (grass fed, organic)
- Add 1 cup shredded Bulgarian sheep cheese
- Add 1 egg to the mixing bowl
- Season with 1 tsp savory and 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Mix all ingredients well with hands
- In a baking sheet, lay down 8 slices of bread and spray with avocado oil spray
- Spread evenly the ground beef mixture on top of the bread
- Place the oven rack as close to the top of the oven as possible. Bake the ground beef sandwiches for about 15 min. My family likes the meat well done so I bake for 15 min.
- I use multigrain bread in this recipe. You can use your favorite (i.e. whole wheat)
- I use Bulgarian sheep cheese in this recipe. You can use Gouda, cheddar, etc
- I like to buy organic, grass fed beef.
- I don't use any salt in this recipe. Feel free to add if you like your meals salty
- We are extremely excited to announce we are now using the saferecipeguide.org guidelines to make our recipe safe-friendly. We will slowly be incorporating the safe recipe guidelines into our recipe instructions!
We strive to provide the most accurate information possible, however, it is at your own risk when you decide to use it. For example, the nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by our recipe plugin. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice. If we list a recipe as a nut-free, for instance, we do our best to check all ingredients for nuts via an application. However, it is your responsibility to double-check our work prior to using the information as there is always room for manual error on our part or an error on the application we use.