Top 10 Food Recipes To Help You Fight Covid-19
When it comes to fighting against Corona Virus or Covid-19, your best weapon is your body. Food is what fuels our bodies and make us stronger. We took a look at our healthy and delicious recipes and selected the top 10 recipes to help you fight Covid-19 or Corona Virus. Among many things, we concentrate on strengthening our immune system which is our first line of defense against infection and disease. In addition to healthy eating, don’t forget to wash your hands, exercise your body and mind, drink water, and take a rest. Those are all healthy habits that along with eating well will help you hopefully get through this pandemic crisis.
Our Recipes’ Selection Criteria
We handpicked our top 10 recipes that can help you fight with the Corona Virus or Covid-19. Here is the process we used to select our top 10 recipes:
- We looked at the ingredients and picked recipes with ingredients that strengthen our bodies. Those are well-known ingredients to boost our immune system. For example, citrus fruit, garlic, and ginger are among the top ingredients to help boost our immune system and have anti-virus properties.
- We looked at our recipes and selected the ones that were more nutritious. The recipes we chose contain more of the immune system boosting ingredients, as well as, ingredients that have anti-virus properties.
- We also selected a variety of recipes. For example, we selected juices, smoothies, snacks, soups, meals, etc. Our hope is that everyone would be able to find an appealing recipe and try it out.
- We also weighted on the easy of making the recipe. We know that the easier and faster the recipe, the more likely it is that you will actually make it and reap the health benefits.
And the list is…
1. Pineapple and Orange Juice
It is not a secret that oranges are very rich in Vitamin C. Vitamin C magic is in the trigger to increase the production of white blood cells which is believed to boost our immune system. I am not a creature of habit like some people that can drink orange juice every morning. I like to change things up a little bit, hence, this is a pineapple and orange juice recipe.
2. Fruit Smoothie
Our fruit smoothie is also a great source of Vitamin C. Kiwi is one of our best superfoods as it has more Vitamin C than oranges. It is also a great source of antioxidants. With all the packed nutrients this smoothie will help your body fight against Covid-19. Moreover, this smoothie is packed with zinc which helps our immune cells to function.
3. Sweet And Sour Pork Over Cauliflower Rice
We picked the Sweet And Sour Pork Over Cauliflower Rice recipe for many reasons.
- It is rich in Vitamin C which helps boost our immune system.
- Vitamin B-6 found in this recipe helps in the chemicals reactions our bodies undergo. It is also instrumental in formulating the new red blood cells of our body.
- This recipe has allicin which also boosts the immune system that protects us from intruders
- Live Bacteria – this recipe has live bacteria that help our gut health. Check out our blog explaining that 70% of our immune system is in the guts and how probiotics found in this recipe helps boost it.
4. Chinese Beef And Veggies Over Freekeh
Here are some of the reasons we chose this Chinese Beef and Veggies Over Freekeh dish in our top 10 pick selection. Other than being super delicious this meal has:
- Allicin – Allicin offers antioxidant benefits along with reducing inflammation. It also has antiviral properties.
- Zinc – this recipe also has zinc that helps boost our immune system.
- Vitamin B and C – both vitamins are key players in supporting our immune system.
I grew up with tarator but in this case I am not biased. This recipe is a gem as it is made of several superfoods. Yogurt, for example, is a superfood we wrote about a lot in our blog. Check out our article about yogurt health benefits. Did you know you can make yogurt from scratch without a yogurt maker? Here is a summary of why we chose the tarator in our top 10 selection.
- Yogurt has live and active cultures that we need for a healthy gut. The good bacteria help our immune system fights against bad bacteria.
- Vitamin D – yogurt contains Vitamin D that helps regulate the immune system. Vitamin D is essential for our immune system to function properly.
- This recipe also contains Allicin which we mentioned in previous recipes
- Antioxidants – this recipe is also rich in antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties that help boost our immune system
6. Chicken Soup
The majority of us reach out to the chicken soup when under the weather. There is, of course, a reason for that. When the chicken is boiled it makes a broth also known as stock. This stock contains nutrients that help our gut heals, hence our immune system. Remember, 70% of our immune system is in our gut so we better take good care of it! In addition, we made this recipe with garlic which is famous for its immune-boosting properties.
7. Eggs And Spinach Tacos
We chose this recipe to be part of our top 10 picks because it has the nutrients that help strengthen our bodies. In particular, it has antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties, Allicin, Vitamin C, beta-carotene. If you are among our regular readers, you have heard me talk about Popeye the Sailor over and over again. This cartoon character helps me visualize the nutrient powers spinach has and I am hoping it can work for you too. A visual reminder is worth a thousand words.
8. Grilled Salmon With Garlic and Lemon
This recipe is nutrient heaven. It powers not only our brains but also our bodies! By now, you have probably got our nutrient criteria to pick a dish for our top 10 recipes. This salmon recipe is not an exception. It has Vitamin C and D, Allicin, anti-inflammatory properties, antioxidants, and Omega 3s. All those nutrients are critical to our immune system’s health which in return helps us fight against diseases.
9. Pumpkin Bread
Now you are wondering “What does bread have to do with our immune system?”. Well, remember, we mentioned that we are trying to get a recipe for as many walks of life as possible. This is for our baker readers. We make our bread with seeds. Among other healthy nutrients in this recipe, the ones that are most relevant to boosting our immune systems are Vitamin B, E, and antioxidants. In addition, selenium plays a key role in fighting viral infections. Now you know one of the reasons why we include seeds in almost all the sweet bread we make!
10. Nut butter, oats, and dried fruit bites
And our last pick is… nut butter, oats, and dried fruit bites. Congratulations!! You made it to the end of our list. You earned our badge of someone who cares about health and wellness. What more important than being healthy?
You are thinking we chose this recipe because of the seeds… Yes, and no. We explained earlier under the pumpkin bread section why seeds are so important to help us fight against the Corona Virus or Covid-19. But this recipe has another healthy spin. Vitamin E needs fat to be better absorbed by the body. In this recipe, we pair the seeds with almond and peanut butter which is a perfect storm situation for the Vitamin E and healthy fat to bind with each other and get absorbed by the body. Score!
In summary, we chose our best 10 recipes to help you fight against Corona Virus or Covid-19 infection. Our bodies are the only weapon we have against this terrible virus. Prevention is our mantra, so please wash your hands, eat well, exercise your body and mind… and yes, take some rest to replenish your energy. If you think “wash your hands” is a cliche, think twice. We wrote a dedicated article even before this virus got viral on how to properly wash hands. Washing hands is such an important healthy habit to have in general so please take it seriously.
* Information and statements made by be Healthy be Happy are for education purposes only and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. be Healthy be Happy does not provide medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by be Healthy be Happy are not to replace conventional medical service. Any choices and decisions you are making are at your own risk. If you have a medical condition or health concern, contact your physician.